It can seem very overwhelming when you want to start living an active or healthy lifestyle. I know, I started my journey a little over 10 years ago while I am happy with where I am, I am always looking to make changes in my life for the better. It's almost like buying a house and then remodeling the kitchen, then you decide that since the kitchen looks so good now you want to remodel the bathroom. . . . .
Here are some tips on things that I found have worked for me and my clients. It's important to remember that when you are making these changes it's going to take time, be nice and patient with yourself. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions on an of my tips!
· Set realistic approaches. What is important is to be precise on your goals. The ability to focus and have a proper mindset enables someone to make successful lifestyle changes. With discipline and a proper mind set, a lifestyle change won’t be discouraging
· Develop a strategy - Strength of will does not work alone! To live a healthy, active lifestyle and stay with it, your strategy must comprise of both exercise, diet and a STRONG support system!
· Keep a note of everything that you eat and drink. You do not need to estimate calories. Just write down what it was that you had and the quantity. Also take note of how you feel; are you stressed, are you upset, are you feeling lonely, or are you happy. You won’t have to do this for the rest of your life, but take note of what habits you may have. You will find that being more aware of what you are eating will motivate you to plan healthy meals and snacks.
· Build bit by bit. Short-term goals will be the key to your success. Make a list of all the unhealthy things you currently do in your life, keep it on hand but don’t look at it every day. Pick something new from it every time you have conquered a goal.
· Focus on doing! Rather than setting your goals on weight loss focus on being more active, for example, on how much you are going to exercise this week. Or choose something from your diet that you know you need to stop eating.
· Keep up the self-encouragement. An all-or-nothing attitude only sets you up to fail. Learn to evaluate your efforts fairly and objectively. If you fall short of some goals, just look ahead to next week. You do not need to have a perfect record. After all, self-encouragement should definitely be a part of your lifestyle change. Otherwise, you will just fail in the end.
· Eat slowly and mindfully, the body is slow to register when you are full and it is easy to eat too much if you are racing through your meals. Turn the computer and your TV off and focus on your food.
· Stay motivated while continuing making these changes. No other person, no machine, and no special pill can do it for you. There are many reasons to keep you motivated to eat healthy, exercise and stay healthy for the rest of your life. Remind yourself that you are preventing many health problems when you prevent weight gain; and keeping your health is a gift to your family as well as yourself.
Living a healthy active lifestyle if you aren’t already is a process and a journey it isn’t going to happen overnight its lifestyle change, embrace it :)